Android Auto is a great way to use your phone in your car, but it’s not perfect. The default layout and app order may not be ideal for everyone. Fortunately, it’s easy to customize Android Auto to your liking.
Change the home screen layout
The latest version of Android Auto allows you to change the layout of the home screen. This is a great way to move the controls you use most often closer to the driver’s seat.
To change the home screen layout:
- Connect your phone to your car and launch Android Auto.
- Tap the app drawer icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Tap the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap Change layout.
- Choose between Media closer to driver or Navigation closer to driver.
Change the app order
You can also change the order of the apps that appear in the app drawer. This is a great way to move your most-used apps to the top of the list.
To change the app order:
- On your phone, open the Settings app.
- Search for “Android Auto” and tap the top result.
- Tap on Customize Launcher.
- Tap on Launcher sorting.
- Choose A-Z order or tap Custom to drag the apps into your desired order.
Other customization options
In addition to changing the home screen layout and app order, there are a few other ways to customize Android Auto:
- Change the wallpaper: You can change the wallpaper on the Android Auto home screen to match your car’s interior or your own personal style. To do this, open the Android Auto Settings app and tap on Wallpaper.
- Enable night mode: Night mode darkens the Android Auto interface, making it easier on your eyes at night. To enable night mode, open the Android Auto Settings app and tap on Night mode.
- Change the voice settings: You can change the voice settings for Android Auto, such as the voice language and voice prompt volume. To do this, open the Android Auto Settings app and tap on Voice.
By customizing Android Auto to your liking, you can make it a more enjoyable and useful experience.